Monday, September 3, 2012

Think and Ink...

It is so very easy to preach, teach and give advice to others, but very difficult to practice the same in our own  lives. For instance, people who advice greatly on dieting are the ones with poor eating habits. It is seldom rare to find good advisers who are good practitioners too. Through life's self lessons, I have learnt not to advice others but only myself through self-talk. I find this very helpful to me and if at all I am telling or teaching somebody it is only to my closest one-my daughter. As a mom, I believe that I have a responsibility to teach my daughter some important life lessons.

This afternoon, came one life lesson during lunch time. The crux of the lesson was "We should not hide things from dad". This lesson wouldn't have come up if an incident would not have taken place. Unable to find a table in the room, I placed the food container on the laptop table without much thought. My daughter immediately jumped up saying that I can't do that as her dad has asked her not to use the laptop table for eating food. Not knowing what to do, I convinced my daughter saying that I will be cautious not to spill any food on it (I could imagine how mad this can make my husband. But I was handful to look for another table, though I knew this wouldn't be considered as a valid excuse). Before I could think of another option my daughter replied "Okay we will not tell this to dad". I told my daughter, "We should not hide things from dad. We will tell him what happened and I will have to take it if I get scolded". My daughter asked me again, "Mom, we should not hide things from dad?". "Yes, we shouldn't. You know that I don't hide things from dad no matter what". "Even if we get scolded?", she asked again. "Yes, I said". I was happy that what I said was getting re-emphasized in her mind. "To be transparent and honest is more important", I said. My daughter agreed. I could see that she was totally convinced because she has never seen me do things without my husband's knowledge. If we desire that our teachings, advise and preaching should carry weight and value to our kids, we better teach them those stuff which we ourselves do...

No comments:

Post a Comment